Why Build Modular?
Though this question has been posed for years, even decades, nowadays a multitude of structures such as commercial office buildings, retail spaces, medical clinics, school facilities, military dormitories, even hotels are successfully built utilizing the modular building construction method. Therefore, shouldn\'t the question be “Why NOT Build Modular?”
There are numerous benefits associated with modular building construction:
- Strength – Modular buildings are much stronger than traditional ones as each individual section is designed to withstand the stress of transportation and assembly.
- Safety – Modular construction improves the overall safety within the construction process by removing about 80% of building construction activity. The simplicity of modular building methods requires fewer “moving parts” on site, resulting in fewer accidents.
- Architectural Design – Modular construction streamlines the architectural design process because the project starts off-site where it is much easier to work out the kinks in development step-by-step before the actual project itself is undertaken.
- Overall Control – Modular building allows builders to control the conditions under which they are working. Materials can be stored away to avoid damage from the elements during inclement weather.
- Green – Modular buildings are greener. Their parts can be disassembled, refurbished and reused. Approximately 60 to 90 percent of modular construction is completed in a factory, which means all excess materials and inventory can be managed and recycled more efficiently. Also, because modular buildings are assembled in a controlled setting away from the weather, the potential for moisture being trapped in the materials decreases significantly, translating to better air quality.
- Speed – Modular construction is faster. Projects are typically completed 30 to 50 percent sooner.
- Customisable – Modular units can be designed to seamlessly fit into the structure of pre-existing buildings.
- Modular building isn\'t that different – One’s creative vision for a building doesn\'t have to be sacrificed to build modular. Many “traditional” architectural designs can be adapted into a modular version.
High quality, sustainable, innovative, efficient, cost-effective, and shorter time to completion…again, “Why NOT Build Modular?”