Guide for a smooth online interview
We've put together our guidelines for a smooth online interview.
Treat a video or telephone interview as you would a face to face meeting. Be as prepared and as professional just like you are meeting in person.
- Find a quiet neutral space with good lighting
- Frame yourself correctly on the screen, keep your torso and hands visible
- Keep your notes in front of you
- Log in and get set up ahead of time. Ensure all technology is working and be ‘there’ first
- Check your browser works with the chosen software - do you have the latest version of Chrome?
- Sit in front of a blank background – keep distractions for the interviewer to a minimum
- Minimise distractions, turn your phone to silent and turn off notifications on your computer
- Consider using headphones if an echo becomes an issue
- Make sure the interviewer has your telephone number should technology fail
- Ask specific questions regarding the hiring timeline
Check out our guide to competency based interview questions